Learn More about Charles
View Charles' resume in pdf format
"During my career, I have worked alongside many professionals in the fields of Industrial Relations, Human Resources Management and Adult Education. None surpass Charles Purchase in accomplishments, knowledge or experience. Charles was a pioneer in the field of on-line education and his unique combination of hands-on professional experience and instructional skill, ensures that the courses he designs are both informative and engaging. Whenever I need to seek 'wise counsel', it is Chuck that I contact first. His ability to effectively communicate with people regardless of their age or educational background, to quickly isolate the root cause of a problem and to propose innovative solutions never ceases to amaze."
– Dan McGarry, MBA, MBA,
Executive Vice President,
Global Wood Group
"Mr. Purchase has distinguished himself by the way he was able to adjust to the issues in health care. But what has been exceptional about his performance is his ability to conceive projects which combine theoretical complexity with lucid case studies. This characteristic has enabled him to arrive at creative solutions to complex problems – solutions which have satisfied the needs of the parties involved. Moreover, he is highly committed to see the job through.
"Mr. Purchase possesses the qualities of integrity, honesty, creativity, maturity, and exceptional knowledge of the mediation/arbitration process, and labour relations, in general. Therefore, I would highly recommend him without question."
– Victor Trotman, Senior Director,
University Health Network
"Charles Purchase has worked teaching our online offering of BUS255 Compensation* for several years and always brings the best out in his students. He is energetic, enthusiastic about learning, and his many years of experience working in Business allow students to learn from real life business examples. Charles is well-respected by his students and consistently receives positive and encouraging comments from them."
– Patricia Jackson,
Program Development Officer,
Part Time Studies, Canadore College
"I completed the final exam for the course yesterday. I wanted to thank you for your insight, feedback and guidance throughout the course. I learned a substantial amount regarding Industrial Relations through your assignments and exam. The modules provided a practical element that assisted with the understanding of fundamental concepts. I am hoping that I could contact you in the future as your insight would certainly be helpful. Thanks again."
– Kenneth (Feb 10/13)
Principal, AME High Consulting
A Senior Human Resources Generalist with extensive experience in large, dynamic, international organizations and specialist level experience in labour and employee relations, compensation, benefits, pension design, policy design and implementation. A dynamic and committed in-class and online course instructor and developer for Seneca College and Ontario Learn.
Principal of AME High ConsultingAugust 2012 – present
Public and Private Sector Consulting Services in Arbitration/Mediation & Education.
- Teaching and developing courses for online delivery; Arbitrator and Mediator for various public sector institutions in Toronto and vicinity.
Program Coordinator,2002 – July 2012
Faculty of Continuing Education and Training, Seneca College
Human Resources Management, Seneca, Canadore and Conestoga Colleges
- Industrial Relations, Employment Law, Labour Economics, Compensation, Pensions and Benefits, Organizational Behaviour, Strategic Human Resources Planning, HRIS- in-class and online delivery modes. Platforms include Moodle, Blackboard and Angel.
Online Delivery Mode
- Developed Industrial Relations course (Seneca College/Ontario Learn).
- Re-developed Strategic Human Resources Planning (Seneca College/Ontario Learn).
- Re-developed Organizational Behaviour, accelerated format (Seneca College/Ontario Learn)
- Re-developed Recruitment and Selection (Seneca/College/Ontario Learn) in both a regular and accelerated format.
Managing Director, 1996 – 2002
Total Human Resources Solutions Ltd. (THRS)
- Senior Consultant responsible for providing Labour and Employee Relations consulting services to a number of private and public sector organizations.
Vice President Human Resources and Public Affairs, and Officer 1992 – 1996
The Coca Cola Company, Minute Maid Division
- Responsible to the President for the development and implementation of all Canadian Human Resources Strategies.
Director of Human Resources, 1987 – 1992
McCain Foods Limited
- Responsible to the owners, Harrison and Wallace McCain, for all Human Resources activity in Canada at corporate office, eleven manufacturing plants and two sales divisions.
Director of Human Resources, 1982 – 1987
- Responsible to the President for all Human Resources activity in Canada at five production operations and two mines.
Regional Human Resources Manager, 1977 – 1982
Dominion Dairies Limited (Sealtest)
- Responsible for Human Resources Management within Ontario including negotiation and administration of 21 collective agreements.
Personnel Administrator, 1971 – 1977
Pilkington Glass Manufacturing
Back to top
- Responsible to the Plant Personnel Manager and subsequently to the Vice President Human Resources.
- Consistently successful in recruiting, training, mentoring top-level professionals as course instructors for both in-class and online teaching.
- Consistently high student evaluations for in-class, online teaching and course development.
Labour and Employee Relations
- Developed and implemented successful Human Resources Strategies to assist organizations maintain non-union status.
- Successfully negotiated and administered in excess of 100 collective agreements with such unions as: CAW (Autoworkers);UFCW (Food & Commercial Workers); IBT (Teamsters); USW (Steelworkers); ECWU (Chemical Workers)
Compensation and Benefits
- Designed and implemented flexible benefits programs in collaboration with all stakeholders.
- Designed and implemented defined contribution pension plans.
- Implemented stock option programs.
- Designed and implemented pay equity plans, salary administration plans.
- Performance management plans including 360º appraisal systems, MBO and BARS.
Other Strategic Human Resources Accomplishments
- Designed and implemented human resources department start-ups.
- Recruited for local, national and international positions.
- Developed and implemented national human resources policies including EE.
- Developed and implemented organizational design, re-design strategies.
- Developed and implemented succession and talent management plans.
- Developed career planning programs and employee skill development opportunities.
- Initiated fully integrated human resources information systems.
- Initiated business communication campaigns such as "The Right to Know", "Lunch with the President" and "Company Compensation Strategies" for all internal stakeholders.
- Identified, communicated and reinforced positive corporate culture and behaviours through recognition and reward strategies.
- Provided clear expectation to employees to reinforce the Company image in all personal, departmental and company activities.
- Initiated "work with" programs for new management recruits to understand the actual work of employees and relationships with the final product and customers.
Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration, York University1976
Bachelor of Arts in Economics, York University1971
Back to top